Several years ago I co-founded a company that provided thousands of in-home nursing and therapy visits each year to patients that were recovering from an illness or injury – this is commonly known as a “home health agency”. I learned a lot. One thing I learned is that managing a distributed workforce is hard and no one was doing a great job of making it easier. The idea of Boomr was born and with the help of some awesome co-founders and team members, we’ve grown the company to be one of the best-known SaaS solutions for mobile time tracking.
Since launching Boomr, we’ve revolutionized the way thousands of companies manage employee work hours. But, because of some unique challenges, home health (and similar industries like hospice and home care) still remains a very underserved industry when it comes to technology.
Complex issues, like compensating employees a fixed amount for each visit made, but still tracking their actual hours for overtime purposes, make it especially difficult to manage labor costs in the home health sector. There are also burdensome compliance mandates that require employers to keep clinicians accountable for the work they do and when they do it. Not to mention the logistical and scheduling pain points that also exist.
And while these are significant issues, many of them can be resolved with a robust real-time time management solution. That is why our team has decided to launch Boomr for Healthcare as an add-on to the core Boomr product. Boomr for Healthcare will help healthcare providers solve some of their most challenging (and expensive) HR problems.
The Need for a Better Home Health App
No one knows in-home care better than those who are working daily in the industry. That’s why our team worked closely with our existing home health, hospice and home care customers to develop and test Boomr for Healthcare. Our unique features solve the industry’s biggest pain points when it comes to employee time management.
As we spoke with our customers, we discovered a trend: all of these companies have employees that are compensated based on the pay-per-visit model, but time tracking apps (including Boomr) focus on hourly employees. Plus, a major problem that these employers face is managing their staff wages in accordance with federal and state labor laws.
For example, California overtime law requires overtime to be accrued when an employee works more than 8 hours in a day or more than 40 hours in a week. But wait, there’s more. The 7th consecutive day of a work week is required to be paid out at 1.5 times an employee’s regular rate, even if an employee won’t go over 40 total hours for the week. Additionally, if an employee works over 12 hours in a day or over 8 hours on the 7th consecutive day, they are required to be paid double their regular rate of pay. When compensating employees a fixed amount for each visit, tracking overtime against these hourly-based rules presents a significant and costly challenge across the board.
As if that wasn’t confusing enough, this process can be a nightmare for the business office or administrative team. Calculating the regular rate of pay, in order to apply the overtime multiplier, can be an incredibly frustrating and cumbersome task because the hourly rate for these employees can change on a week-to-week basis depending on the number of visits made, the type of visit and the amount of reimbursement by visit type.
The demand for a solution became increasingly apparent as we talked to companies that were faced with legal challenges for underpaid overtime. It’s increasingly common for these businesses to have employees (and attorneys) demanding back pay for overtime hours worked in past months or even years. One of Boomr’s core values is to “Never Stop Building the Future”, so when we saw an opportunity to innovate on behalf of our customers, we did.
Building the Ultimate Time Tracking App for Home Health, Hospice and Home Care
While it was clear that we had to address this problem, we still wanted to focus on what we do best: track employee time in a simple and intuitive manner while providing valuable data insights to our customers. Boomr is a brand that our customers know and trust, and we wanted to keep our focus and price point the same while offering these new features as an added benefit to our healthcare customers. Therefore, there is no extra cost to use Boomr for Healthcare.
We ended up developing features that addressed the most critical pain points healthcare companies have when tracking employee work hours. So, as of today, here are some of the tools available in our new Boomr for Healthcare platform:
- Per Visit and Per Diem Pay Types – Pay-per-visit wage tracking can be confusing and time-consuming. Our system now simplifies this process by letting customers configure their own Visit Codes and then assign reimbursement rates to each individual employee. Visit Codes can be tracked on a Fixed Amount or Hourly basis, ensuring that this solution can be set up for any home health, hospice or home care company.
- Expense Tracking – You’ll know exactly what you are paying for mileage reimbursement, parking fees, and tolls. Plus, expenses can now be attributed to a specific visit or shift.
- HIPAA Compliant – Patient addresses are masked in our system and sensitive personal health information is protected.
- Documentation and Notes – Clinicians can instantly communicate with case managers and receive instant feedback. They can also attach pictures to these notes to serve as a supplement to their clinical documentation.
- Accountability – Our GPS time clock and real-time location tracking lets you know where your team is at any time and how long they’ve spent at each visit.
Of course, the existing functionality of our core Boomr product comes baked into the Boomr for Healthcare add-on. That means:
- Easy Onboarding – Your clinicians are busy helping patients; the last thing they need to do is learn complicated software or get distracted by an app. Boomr is easy to use and employees can be up and running in 30 seconds.
- Data Driven Reporting – When you have real-time data at your fingertips, you can prevent costly overtime and avoid scheduling mistakes. You’ll know exactly where every penny goes to carefully manage your company and stay on budget.
And much more!
As of today, Boomr for Healthcare is available on an as-requested basis. If you are a current Boomr customer and would like to give it a try, just reach out to email@example.com and we’ll get you set up. If you own or manage a company that provides home health, hospice or home care services and want to see these features in action, enroll in one of our live webinars to learn more.
Do you run a healthcare company with more than 200 employees? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org to explore options for custom account configuration.
Sign up to our Newsletter